Thank you for stopping by my blog. This is my first dip into the blogging trench, started out of my curiosity to know what actually is a blog. I try to put here my readings from various sources; books, blogs, sites. I also grab stuff from here & there and try to showcase it in my own style here. If you'd like my scribblings, please subscribe to my full text RSS feeds.


Currently I am experimenting a few new features on my blog, like Peekaboo and Post Summary; the reason for the slight distortion you see. I am hoping to frame up these soon, please bear with me!




If your like your desktop the clutter-clutter way with a mess of files/shortcuts all over the screen, this post if definitely not for ya. Please skip!!!

For all those who ever wanted a neat and cool desktop, go ahead.

A computer literate well knows the tips to keep a desktop clean wothout a mess of files on the screen. But only a computer jerk will know the way to hide the unhidable 'Recycle Bin' from their desktops. There are different ways to hide this icon, but this is the best method. This registry hack extends the Folder Options by adding an option for showing the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop. Listed below is the same hack that will enable ease of such an operation. Lets get started.

What you'll need:
1. Computer
2. XP operating system (preferred)
3. Basic knowledge of registry
4. Enthusiasm to experiment (but this hack really works!)

Step 1
Copy the below text into a notepad.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\RecycleBinOnDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"
"Text"="Show Recycle Bin icon on desktop"
"Type"="checkbox"
"ValueName"="{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001


Step 2
Save the file as Binopt.reg.

Step 3
Double click this file and import it to the registry. FYI, in case you ever wanted to check this registry entry, go through the following path: "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder"

Bingo! You're done. A new option is listed in the Folder Options dialog box that lets you configure the Recycle Bin icon, as shown below. Check it.



If still couldn't figure out how to check, follow these simple steps:
1. In Windows Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
2. On the View tab, under Advanced Settings, do one of the following:
(a) Select the Show Recycle Bin icon on the desktop check box to show the icon on your desktop.
(b) Clear the Show Recycle Bin icon on the desktop check box to remove the icon from your desktop.

Now my desktop looks neat. To top this I've added the charm of Yahoo!'s Waste Basket Widget for that cooool and trendy look as you can see below.

0 DWine Insight(s):

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.